Approach it like I were being interviewed (reason is to be as natural as you can about your response)
Craft a narrative that gets to the heart of the matter — and persistently pulls on the natural thread of the storyline
Unearthing the natural tone of my past work really did bring about the language and reflective truth I was looking to achieve. At times, I found my responses to be a bit too forced – if that occurred, I imagined a friend of mine were asking me the question – how then might I respond? This really clarified the feels I was looking to make sure were present in the case writing style.
- Write strategic questions to guide/facilitate — the conversation
- UXing the UX – tackling the writing of my case studies
- Each case study has 8 hours of time dedicated to it – I figure if I can’t write about the work in that amount of time, I’m either too in the weeds, or just being inefficient with my time. Right?
- I outlined areas across the arc of the design process to write into
- Queued question prompts to speak on as it relates to case learnings
- I turned and grabbed my iPhone to record my audio response
- With Voice Memos + dictation turned on, I began queuing my own questions to answer.
- In responding, I made a conscious decision to NOT look at a computer screen. Instead, I positioned my gaze outwardly through my window – my intention here was to be as naturally communicative in my responses as possible – to let go of any predefined or scripted response – to loose myself a bit in the raw moment so as to not filter my words, knowing I could always clean up language later as needed.
- Having captured both audio and transcripts text, I looked for areas to dig deeper into my explaining details or specifics of the case.
- After several re-recordings I turned to laying content into a Slide Deck to capture clear messaging/talking points
- From here, I considered illustrations/diagrams and artifacts to visualize and connected messaging
- Finally, a strategy employed was to take passes through content to keep the case study moving
- I made two pass throughs to assure grammar, spelling and overall connection was made across the storyline.
- Stitching 🧵 together sections can take a considerate effort. Being mindful of connecting the story from beginning to end was a constant reminder
- I made a concerted effort run assure the arc of storytelling light and playfully upbeat
- Placing a time constraint to the case study was central not over-examining the work — capturing the moment of reflection at first take, later to refine and revisit key details to complete the narrative